The lack of awareness on maintaining an earth-friendly community is one of the critical issues in the village. If nothing gets done soon, there is an immanent risk that beaches of Bara are slowly getting contaminated due to lack of sewage, toilet in every household, people throwing plastics and other wastes into the body of water. Majority of the families are depending on fishing as their source of living but due to the eventual destruction of the beach, less and less fishes and seafood are left in the sea.
Some of our aims are to serve as an example to people of Bara on how to be self-sustainable, start small-scale organic farming, to raise awareness on how to take care of our planet by showing them the benefit of an eco-lifestyle, and to contribute to kids’ development of knowledge. Bara Villagestay plans to “slowly” start the following with the help of the local officials and local schools.
- Creation of a mini-library stocked with used books. This will encourage young and old people alike to read and further their knowledge.
- Project “Clean your own beach” for those living in the coastal areas
- Project “Compost Pile” for every family who does not have proper garbage disposal
- Project “Recycling” and proper disposal of waste
- Enforcement of the “clean and green” motto of Bara